Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. ???

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. ???
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:41:53 +0200
Perhaps the reason you did not get a lot of replies is, the just isn't a
huge amount of performance difference.

A lot of people here sold their Omni VI(+) to buy and Eagle and I have yet
to hear anyone say they regret it.

I will take a shot at it, just passing on my ideas in no particular order.

THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS REAL-ESTATE AND WEIGHT. IF YOU TRAVEL WITH THESE,
it makes a huge difference.

PLUS FOR THE EAGLE:
> Size (if real-estate is an issue)
> Easy to operate, even the menus are better than on the 6+.
> Slightly better RX, unless you had the INRAD Roofing filter in the 6+
> Computer integration (USB instead of Serial)
> More software available for it (ie contest software, N4PY, etc.)
> GC receiver (if you like that sort of thing)
> Many steps in the bandwidth (though I don't think that is so important
> My gut feeling is, it has steeper filter slopes when working SSB.  I
haven't seen any measurements on this  On CW with 2x250Hz on the 6+, it's
about as good as the Eagle, though the Eagle offers even narrower filters.
> Probably 10 or more years newer so it should live longer
> Stays cooler during contests

PLUS FOR THE OMNI VI+:
> SIZE  (if you prefer larger radios with larger knobs)
> Much better S-Meter
> Band stacking registers
> Simple and effective xtal filter scheme
> Manual Notch Filter
> Easier to work Split
> Dedicated RIT and much easier to use
> Better AGC for dealing with very short pulse noises, such as an electric
fence pulse.  If you have a strong, short pulse, the Eagle AGC will pump and
it can be disturbing,,,,unless you simply turn down the RF gain a bit.

That's about all I can think of.
I don't think you would ever hear a signal on one that you would not hear on
the other.

I envy the boys who can afford both.
I made my choice.  Eagle.

73