Re: [TenTec] new to CW dxing

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new to CW dxing
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 10:11:26 +0200
I hesitated to throw in my "Extra Ticket" story, but what the heck.  You
see, I failed the theory by one question.
I think that was in 1974.  Maybe 75.

While living in Germany, I went home for Christmas only about every 5 years
or so.
I had not put any thought into taking an exam because here in Germany I had
full privileges, but I got bored sitting around the folks' house in OKC.  I
borrowed their car, drove down to Dallas and took the General, Advanced, and
Extra without any previous studying.

Of the 20 people who took the CW test I was the only one who passed the
copying part, making just one mistake.
To my surprise the examiner had a Hallicrafters TO keyer and a Vibroplex
Iambic paddle.
He offered to let me use it.
I sat down adjusted the speed to about 28 or 30 wpm, sent BENS BEST BENS
FEET which we had practiced a lot in the Army and within about 5 seconds he
said "you passed".  Of course 10 years of being net control in NTS cw nets
prior to moving to Germany had not hurt.

I did manage to upgrade my Conditional to an Advanced, but I regretted that
I had not bought a license manual and studied.
As a result, I did not get my Extra ticket for another 30 years, in 2008,
after I moved back to Oklahoma.  Of course CW was no longer required so yes,
I'm a "No Code Extra".

The second time (2008) I was much smarter.  I bought a license manual, but
still flunked the theory by one questions.  Turns out a new question set was
released in July and I had studied from the old manual.  So I bought a new
license manual, and passed the test on my third attempt, one month later.

73
Rick, DJ0IP