Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Rsoifer@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 12:26:48 -0500
My first Ten-Tec rig was a used '509 back around 1980. I previously had a
Heath SB-102 but could never find a way to set it up on CW that didn't sound
like a freight train with the sequence of relays clacking away every time I
hit the key. I traded it in on the '509 and used that for a couple of years
before I sprang for a new Argosy. Somehow in the process I swapped the '509
to a good friend/coworker for a 2M rig (still kinda kicking myself over that
one). He proceeded to put the '509 into mobile service and promptly worked a
G3 with it while driving up the Kansas Turnpike one Saturday morning.

Personal to Ray: concerning your KR-40 you said "I know it's sacrilege to say
this, but its smooth magnetic action gives the Begali paddle I use with my
Orion II a good run for its money." Sorry to disagree, but I don't find it
a "sacrilege" to favorably compare "sleeper" Ten-Tec products to well-known
high end stuff like the Begali. Case in point (I may have related this story
before, so I'll try to stick with the "executive summary"): some years back I
was listening around on 40 CW for stations/QSOs that would stretch my copying
ability. I found a QSO that was running along at a good clip and
started "reading the mail", then quickly realized that one of the stations
was a good friend of mine about 15 miles or so away. They mentioned QSB, and
then later started commenting on an adjacent station that was splattering.
After another exchange or two they decided they were no longer able to copy
each other well enough to continue the contact. I was surprised as I was
still experiencing comfortable Q4-5 copy on both of them, and I never did
hear any "splatter". My friend was at the time using a fairly current
high-end "rice box", while I had a "lowly" 20 or so year old Corsair. The
bottom line is that I stand by a previous statement of mine: when it comes to
receiver performance, I'll put Ten-Tec's Corsairs etc. up against the vast
majority of what's out there, old or new, and regardless of price.

BTW I have a KR-1 (same thing as your KR-40 but without the electronics) and I
find it to have an extremely nice action with two considerations: 1) that you
take the time to understand how to adjust it properly; and 2) that it is best
suited for a light, precise touch and may not work as well for a "slapper"
(if you understand my style description.) If you would, do us a favor and go
on eHam and post what you just said about the KR-40 to balance the single
review by a fellow who shall we say "wasn't impressed" for whatever reason.

73, Al