Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC announces new amplifier
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 19:20:48 -0500
Truthfully, I don't share the irritation that you describe. Sure! I
would like to see a few  more.better bells and whistles on the
display. But, I've become accustomed to the various niggles and gnats
the display has. If I had a choice between a developer spending time
of the display or spending time on better DSP capability, I'd prefer
time spent on all the usual DSP suspects, like noise reduction, etc.
Honestly, I tend to listen to the radio more carefully than I look at
it. I use the spectrum display to find signals, not to assess their IMD.

Is it bothersome that the display stops updating as I tune? Well,
yes, but it doesn't irritate me enough to turn the radio off. Would I
like to see a little pipper move across the spectrum display to show
me where I'm tuning relative to the last time the display updated?
Well, yes, but, again, I'm not tempted to turn the radio off over it.
Would I really really really like for the tuning rate vary with the
speed at which I turn the dial, just like my venerable old TS-930S
with the PIEXX board installed (nudge nudge hunt hint)? Sure, but I
won't toss down my headphones in disgust and leave the pile-up over
that irritating oversight (hint hint nudge nudge). Would I prefer a
waterfall display option? You bet! But, I still use the radio and
enjoy it a lot.

Obviously, others have different requirements and tolerance levels
for missing ergonomic details. I really do believe that some of the
Japanese radios have better displays, certainly a better overall
"feel" and may even have better ergonomics. And that doesn't come for
free. And I'm not convinced other radios are so much technically
better that I'd be able to take advantage of them. I'm not a TT
cheerleader or a "buy only American" kind of guy, but I found that,
in the new radio bang-for-the-buck department, TT's Orion II is
simply hard to beat.

Kim N5OP