Re: [TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions

Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:57:32 -0700
On 10/16/2012 5:32 PM, Robert Mcgraw wrote:
The feed impedance on my 160M 1/2 wave wire is about 38 ohms as I recall.

Some clarifications. First, feedline loss is directly related to feedline current and conductor resistance, and is determined both by the feedline impedance and the SWR. What gives open wire line it's low loss characteristic is it's IMPEDANCE, NOT the fact that it is balanced. Loss is lower in high Z line because for a given power level and the same conductor size, because the current is lower.

Your 38 ohm feedpoint impedance determines the degree of mismatch to your transmission line, but the current varies along that line as a function of the electrical length of the line. That mismatch will increase the loss.

You may not "feel good" about connecting coax to an antenna you think of as balanced, but that coax is a MUCH better match to the antenna than 450 ohm open wire line, the loss may turn out to be lower than in your badly matched open wire line, and with a decent common mode choke, the dipole will BEHAVE as a balanced antenna. This is the sort of thing that SHOULD cause us to go to the computer and do the math to figure out which is better.

And, of course, we should consider the antenna, feedline, and matching box as a SYSTEM, because that's what it is. How are we providing lightning protection for the equipment connected to it? How does it come into our building? How noisy is it on RX? All of these factors are important when deciding what antenna to put up and how to feed it.

73, Jim K9YC