Re: [TenTec] Advice on my Omni VI

To: Roger Rippy <svtincup@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Advice on my Omni VI
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:27:49 -0400

On 4/12/2013 11:22 AM, Roger Rippy wrote:

I agree with the personal assessment that TT does not really want to work on Omni VIs any more and that really leads me to question TT's direction and core values.

        Well... er... um...  I have lower expectations.

        Few manufacturers in any line support products
        as long as TT.  There has to be a practical
        limit in the development cycle - at some point
        I expect a cession of product development, and
        eventually, cessation of service support, depending
        on parts availability, available service manpower,
        and the need to support newer products.  I am
        surprised TT provides service of its legacy equipment.

        Observation:
        I don't believe that "other American manufacturer"
        has such an extensive legacy to support, as it is
        a relative newcomer to the business.

So do you invest in an Omni VII, knowing someday TT
might choose to stop fully supporting this product
or do you look at that other American amatuer radio
manufacturer for your next rig.

        I DID. And, I do that with virtually every product
        I purchase, knowing the manufacturer may someday
        cease servicing or supporting it.  I expect parts
        will eventually be unobtanium and and leave me
        and the manufacturer stranded.  I expect this
        of any product form any manufacturer.

really like my Omni VI and would turn around and buy a new one today if it was available.

        Interesting thought!   I love my Omni VII,
        but I would consider buying an Omni VI if
        it was still offered new.  I would not have
        purchased a Jupiter, but I could have purchased
        a brand new Omni VI if that was still in the
        product line.

Just MY take... I appreciate yours.