Re: [TenTec] Advice on my Omni VI

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Advice on my Omni VI
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 23:08:07 -0700
On 4/12/2013 8:10 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
Look around for a good used radio. Or spend a few more $$$ and buy a new or even a used Eagle or Omni VII. You won't be disappointed as you'll likely have a current product that will work reliably and satisfactorily for 10 to 15 years. Based on these numbers the new radio will cost you between $150 to $250 per year. A darn site less expensive than repairing an old radio. Of course, if one can't afford it, then at any price, they can't afford it.

Well said, Bob. Many years ago when I was a young man not long our of college, I had jobs doing field service on installed audio and video systems, fixing things on a bench, and managing a service department. It didn't take me long to figure out that it can cost a lot to maintain older products, and two very important factors were the availability both of repair parts and the guys smart enough to fix stuff.

The only NEW stuff I've bought in the last 15 or so years are a pair of K3 radios, a Sony flat screen TV, and computers and test equipment for my business, and even a lot of that was used. Virtually everything else has been bought used -- ham gear, speakers, mics, laptops for the ham station, furniture, even a lot of clothing. I've owned a K2, Omni V+, TS850, IC746, FT1000MP, a bunch of Ten Tec 229s and 238s, Herc I, Herc II, and now three Titan 425s. I bought all of that stuff for between 30% and 50% of new prices. All of it worked, and I got good use from it and sold it later for close to what I paid for it.

Indeed, the only reason I can still maintain those Ten Tec power amps is that they're all discrete transistors and other standard parts (except for the Herc I), most of them pretty generic. Heck -- those amps were designed in the late 70s and early 80s. That's 30+ years, and I can still keep them running. And all of those power amps together cost me less than ONE fancy new Alpha or Acom.

Used stuff is great if you buy wisely -- do the research to learn what's good, what holds up well, what's repairable, and know who you're buying from.

More advice. If, like Bob and me, you find yourself being less capable than you were when you were younger, or that you lack certain technical or physical skills, a really good move is to seek out and join a good, dynamic ham club in your area. It it's the "right" kind of club, there will be a good mix of older and younger hams, and hams with a wide variety of backgrounds and capabilities. As older hams, we have things to offer younger ones, and they have much to offer us -- their physical abilities, their newer technical education, their younger ideas. it CAN be a win-win for everyone. I was a member of a club like that in Chicago, and I'm a member of a really great one here in the Bay Area.

I do presentations at club meetings sharing what I know, and guys come here and help me with antennas. We recently built some excellent bandpass filter kits that needed SMT soldering, and one of the younger guys helped me with that. I was able to help him with alignment, which I had learned 50 years ago at RL Drake. When I joined that Chicago ham club in 2003, I had been off the air for 20 years and didn't know the gear. They pointed me to the good used stuff. And I had an Omni A in the basement that I gave to a kid with a new ticket. Back in 1955 when I was a Novice, one of the guys in my club in WV gave me a Command set. We help each other, we share, we pass it on. That's what ham radio (and life) is all about.

Some specific equipment advice. If I were buying a NEW moderate priced transceiver today it would be an Elecraft KX3, and I'd add their dedicated 100W amp to it (I expect to see it shown at Dayton). Absolutely the best bang for the buck, and nothing else is close. It really is a single radio that does almost everything, and with great specs. And as a company, Elecraft today is what Ten Tec was 30 years ago.

73, Jim K9YC