Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"

To: <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:24:37 +0200
It is inadequate, Al.
There are lots of transceivers that create a very broadband noise.
The noise is adequately suppressed to meet the legal specs, but if you hang
an amp on them, a neighbor a mile away might have problems.
A next door neighbor will have problems every time that radio transmits,
regardless of what band it is on.
Yet it passes the specs.

I am not aware of the details of 97.307;  does it specify just 3rd order IMD
or does it specify more?
Does it just specify 2-tone testing?
In the meantime Rob is testing using white noise in addition to the 2-tone
tests.
This more closely resembles speech.
Part of the problem is, some of the modern radios have really bad 5th, 7th,
9th (etc.) order IMD and even farther out.

One of Rob's presentations was quite long.  I was unable to upload the Audio
file (too large) so I split the presentation into 3 parts, with
"Transmitters" being one of the 3.
Anyone interested in more info on this theme should look at his presentation
and listen to Rob in the audio file.

The presentation was his 2011 BARC presentation, entitled "Transceiver
Performance; What's new in 2011?"
Here is a link to the presentation and 3 audio files which accompany it:
http://www.dj0ip.de/transceivers/sherwood/barc-new-in-2011/
The middle presentation, slides 24-43 address the transmitter issues.

73
Rick, DJ0IP