Re: [TenTec] ufer ground?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ufer ground?
From: "Tony Lelieveld" <va3dwi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 23:31:54 -0400
Hi all,

Here is an article that I published in our club news letter in 2003. You may find it interesting as it explains the origin of the "Ufer" ground system.

73, Tony VE3DWI.
An Ufer what???

Have you ever heard the expression “Ufer ground system”? I have on occasion, and wondered what it meant too. Finally curiosity got a hold of me and I had to know. After some research on the internet I came upon some articles and thought to share the information I had garnished. What follows is an excerpt of an internet article by Chris Scott & associates about this subject.

During World War II, a retired Vice President of Underwriters Laboratories, Herbert G. Ufer, developed it (the Ufer ground system) for the U.S. Army. Igloo shaped bomb storage vaults were being built, and possible static and lightning induced detonation problems were of concern. Ground conductivity was poor, and to be effective enough, ground rods would have to be driven several hundred feet. After much research and testing Mr. Ufer advised the Army to make connection to the steel bar that would internally reinforce the concrete foundation. He had determined that concrete was more conductive than all but the best soil, and that this improved semi-conducting characteristic would enhance surface area contact with the surrounding soil.

The wire ties normally used would be extra secure, and attention would be given to bonding or welding the lattice-type network together. The Army adopted the idea, and built the vaults as specified. After construction ground resistance tests were made. No measurement exceeded five Ohms. This value was considered extremely low for the local soil conductivity. Later tests confirmed stability. Mr. Ufer went on to develop the concept of concrete encased grounding electrodes. Many of his findings are detailed in IEEE Transaction paper #63-1505. His system has since been used by the military, utility companies, Lake Tahoe lifts, and industry throughout the country.

Tony VE3DWI.
----- Original Message ----- From: "denton sprague" <denton@oregontrail.net>