Re: [TenTec] Orion Power Out

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Power Out
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:22:55 -0500
With the info reported, the voltage drop as indicated at the back of the radio seems a bit excessive to me. If not done so, I'd look at using at least #12 AWG between the PS and the radio terminals. Also be sure the connections are tight at both the PS and the radio. In my application I do use crimp type lugs but take the extra step and solder as well as crimp. I use #12 auto primary wire for the DC application as my DC power supply is adjacent to the radio. Thus the power cable is only about 3 ft in length. If your DC power cable is longer in the order of 4 ft to 6 ft or longer, I'd opt for #10 AWG size wire. Also, be sure to have a ground connected between the radio ground terminal and the power supply ground terminal. This is in addition to the DC negative lead.

I'd also check the regulation at the power supply using a no load or receive condition and then a CW key down transmit mode. Any variation there will only get worse at the radio. With my supply I see typically a 0.05 volt drop or less between no load and maximum load at the power supply. I use a Astron SS-30M supply. Between the power supply and the radio typically I measure a 0.25 volt drop on the POS side and 0.25 volt drop on the NEG side of the DC power cable. The total voltage drop is then ~0.5 volts. By adding the additional ground between the power supply and the radio the effect of the IR drop on the NEG side is largely negated and thus my effective voltage drop between the PS and the radio is only ~0.3 volts.

Somewhat historically, some of the power connectors at the radio have been known to heat thus making for a loose connection, the result of poor a connection. While I have not personally done so, some owners have changed the original Tentec connector to a more favorable 30A Power Pole connector. I recall that these are available as PC mound configuration connectors.

You will find that the radio does draw noticeably more current on some bands, specifically the higher ones, than on others. Anticipate about a 25 amp max value while some bands will be in the order of 16 amps at 100 watts output.

If this does not improve the issue, I'd contact Paul at Tentec Service and inquire about a RF TX Gain alignment procedure. Before you attempt this, be sure you have a very accurate power measuring system.

In speaking of power measurements, for my application, I have a Bird 43P plus I use a HP RF Voltmeter to measure the RF voltage across a 50.5 ohm Bird dummy load. With this method, doing the math, 71.0 volts is 100 watts.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "art N4UC" <n4uc@hotmail.com>