Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 15:17:07 -0600
As you may be likely aware, I did build a tuner, specifically a balanced tuner, mostly for 160M and 80/75M and be able to handle legal limit power. While it does an excellent job on any frequency less than 18 MHz, I find that trying to use it on frequencies above 18MHz is a challenge.

Several factors contribute to such, being physical size of the rollers, the leads between components and such. In fact, after further investigation, I've found several resonances above 18 MHz where it will actually "load itself" with a short across the output terminals or even another configuration with the output terminals not having any connections. These configurations and issues were identified as existing with several commercially made tuners recently evaluated by ARRL Lab.

I'd agree that if you intend to work 160M and 80/75M and to some extent 40M, one should use a dedicated tuner that is better suited for those frequencies. Then for those bands above 10 MHz a second tuner better suited for those would likely be more efficient and less problematic. I'll likely build a smaller tuner using smaller value inductors and smaller capacitor value as a Winter project. My objective is at design to operate 30M -> 6M, up to legal limit power with about any wire and feedline combination I so choose.

For vertical antennas, I find that a matching network at the base of the vertical is best. In the BC world it is called a "matching network" or "tuning unit" and in the ham radio world it is commonly known as an "antenna tuner". Same stuff......different name. In either case the objective is to match the load Z to the feedline Z at the base of the vertical radiator. Thus the feedline is operating at a nominal 50 ohms with a minimally reactive load appearing to the transmitter. If one chooses to change bands or even to some extent frequencies, they should have some form of variable network being usually required at the base of the vertical radiator.

I do have pixs of the current tuner if one so desires.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim GM" <jim.gmforum@gmail.com>