Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:31:30 -0600
I hate to be pedantic and off topic (but that won't stop me)... I don't think any helicopter tip are run supersonic because of huge efficiency losses. Here are numbers for the Bell UH-1 Iroqios (aka the Huey) helicopter. The rotor is 48 ft in diameter and max rotor speed is 324 RPM. Add to that the max cruise of 135 MPH, and I get a max advancing tip speed of 1011 fps, about 100 fps shy of Mach 1 depending on altitude, temperature, etc. That still might make a fair bit of noise because there may be transonic shock waves on top of the tips.

One of the few aircraft parts I know of that will exceed (slightly) Mach 1 are the tips of a North American AT-6. It has a two-bladed prop and the tips do slightly exceed the speed of sound at max RPM. The same engine and propeller are on the BT-13 and both are amazingly noisy because of that feature.

Tip speeds at an above Mach1 make for very inefficient propellers and are typically avoided assiduously.

Kim N5OP