Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:40:59 -0400
THANKS GARY --    Yes...    I get that.

The web page you refer to says:

"The FiFi receiver is a very capable SDR with a newly upgraded on-board sound card that now runs with a 192 KHz sampling rate."

and my sound cards can produce that high a sampling rate - certainly they can handle a 94 KHz sampling rate. I agree it would bog down with any serious conversion, like from 44 to 48 as you mention. That makes sense, although I suppose it could depend on the usual suspects, such as computer CPU, memory, other stuff running, etc.

Thanks for the link. That is a very helpful and clearly written resource page. The Skimmer Intro piece is also helpful.

Happy days. I think I will see if I can get the FiFi to work at the high sampling rates that make it most useful.

The takeaway seems to be to use the Fifi as Bob says to use the Flex if I can... other wise, maybe I will invest in a Flex 1000 or 1500 as a receiver, scope, panadapter thing. Great... this gives me reason to re-visit the FiFi project.

Thanks guys.