[TenTec] RF Out problem on Orion 565

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RF Out problem on Orion 565
From: Vance Leedy <w7iex@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:19:23 -0700
My Orion has a problem in that it will reduce power from 100w to approx 25w primarly on dits during cw operation, not all dits, just one or two now and then if it is in a failure mode. Of course this is not consistent. SSB operation and both receivers work well. When it fails the ALC does not illuminate and there is no audible click from the relay on the A0 board. Typical conditions/settings are as follows: Keying- Internal, external or straight key. Two different DC supplies tried. QSK delay=17%, cw weighting 100 (range 50-150). Antennas: either of two antennas or dummy load. Keying speed usually 20-25wpm. CW rise time 7ms
If someone has encountered this I would like to hear the resolution.

To add to the mystery, another condition exists, but am not sure if it is my rig or all Orion I's . Setup- reduce power to 1-5 watts, send a few characters. Increase power to 100w. Perform a key down. My rig takes approx three seconds to reach 100w. Normal?
Subsequent key down operations immediately goto 100w.

Thanks for you time,
Van
W7IEX