Re: [TenTec] Model 1225 SWR and Wattmeter Kit

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 1225 SWR and Wattmeter Kit
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 04:37:52 -0400
Gee... Sorta condescending and demeaning. And not particularly helpful. I often forget ham radio is only for experts with careers in electrical engineering - the rest of us hobbyists are merely tolerated, perhaps only because we buy stuff and keep prices down.

OK, I read the N8LP web page and, I am sorry because I do not see where it addresses Carl's point about some meters being less accurate if the load varies from 50 ohms, or how the LP-100 is immune from that problem. Perhaps someone can explain this on the E-brand reflector... As far as I can see, both units might be affected similarly as they will be used exactly in the same way. I suppose I missed it, but I tried.

Sidebar: The web page says the LP-100 is the only meter with simultaneous bar graphs for both power and SWR... but that is not true, the W2 has this feature, also. Go figure... ;-)

So, OK, I am getting familiar with the old fifth grade brush off answer, "...someday you will understand." I appreciate Carl's reply, but I still don't know how the one meter is more immune than the other. So far, Bob is the only one to offer a solution within the specifications and budget stated.

So, never mind, I will drive on, reading my ARRL Handbook, slowly, page by page, and wait for the great epiphany everyone else must have already experienced. But I won't buy something just because somebody says I should.

And while I am at it, this whole "contest" thing seems a bit overblown. How many contests have been lost because the the operator could not determine amplifier power with sufficient accuracy? Would a fraction of a dB more oomph really make all the difference? All this talk about contesting... I would love to know everyone's actual contest record! I wonder how many are really in the race. Heck, a lot of TT guys disparage ICOM radios, but K3LR has a shack full of them. So who can you trust?

Thanks for the courtesy of a reply, and I am sorry I don't get it.

Happy days.