Re: [TenTec] MIKE & Eagle

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] MIKE & Eagle
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 20:32:29 -0500
If the hand mike works fine, then the issue is NOT inside the radio but outside of the radio.

As to using a headset type mike, the proper values resistors and a DC coupling capacitor will be needed. In my case, I was able to put these 3 components inside the 8 pin mike connector. It is a tight fit with two 1/8 watts resistors and a 0.1 mfd capacitor.

As a side comment, if you intend to use a "cheap" headset then expect equal results. You will find that most Electrect mikes have much higher output level than dynamic mikes and some consideration for level adjustment must be made. In this case, adjustment of the hardware mike gain will be necessary. Once this is done then the hand mike will not work satisfactorily for VOX operation. Hence the value of the 2 resistors will need to be chosen such that the effective Electrect mike output is about equal to that of a dynamic mike.

If your mike is a single wire mike then the circuit and resistor values will be different than a mike that is a 2 wire mike. There's both types available.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "John" <k4avx1@windstream.net>