Re: [TenTec] MIKE & Eagle

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] MIKE & Eagle
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 20:02:08 -0400
Agreed... all points. YES, a wind screen is a good plan, for both audio quality and sanitation... and a little care in mic placement can also be a huge help.

One of the most common ham radio mistakes (I think) is poor headset microphone placement. It should be placed to the side, just off the corner of the mouth, where one is far less likely to breath, puff and pop into it... but not too far out, just enough to the side to be clear of your breathing.

BUT THE WORST ASPECT IS that PRODUCT PHOTOS AND SALES LITERATURE OFTEN DEPICT THE MICROPHONE RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SPEAKER'S MOUTH AND RIGHT UNDER HIS NOSE - and that makes it difficult to convince operators to move it over and out of the way. This is another example of Marketing having NO CLUE what Engineering is doing. Even companies producing speech recognition software, and companies making commercial phone center headsets, have marketing photos depicting the microphone RIGHT UNDER THEIR NOSES... (pun intended) where it is most likely to pick up huffs, puffs and especially pops from plosives like P and T and B, etc.

One of my biggest pet peeves in ham radio is the old timer who huffs, puffs and pops his way through a conversation about how to be a good operator. Ohhhh ... that really burns me up! (Say this last line aloud in your best Yosemite Sam voice...) ;-)