Re: [TenTec] Eagle Tuner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle Tuner
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 16:51:28 -0400
On 9/9/2014 10:47 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

> One thing I've clearly noticed about folded dipoles, the one I have
> on the tower is noticeable quieter, 1 to 2 S units, than the 75M
> dipole fed with coax on the same tower at approximately the same
> height.  Now there may be some lobes that favor noise source,
> typically NW as that's where the storms originate, or slightly null
> to the noise source as the antenna are about 60 degrees apart,
> broadside.

Sorry Bob, but in all sincerity, I gotta ask...

If the *noise* is "noticeable[y] quieter, 1 to 2 S units", wouldn't the wanted *signal* also be down 1 to 2 S units? Your theory about lobes and noise has merit, but presumably the signal and noise would be affected equally. (or could it be that the wanted signal is horizontally polarized and noise is supposedly mostly vertically polarized?)

Inquiring minds want to know.

73,
Carter   K8VT