Re: [TenTec] repairs

To: wb5jnc@centurytel.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] repairs
From: James Boswell <jboswell@nrao.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:37:41 -0600
On 10/31/2014 9:39 AM, Al Gulseth wrote:
It would be interesting if someone had the time to inventory the schematics
and parts lists of the older TT rigs to see what is actually there. My guess
is that when it comes to the less common devices, careful shopping at surplus
electronics suppliers/hamfests, using adapter boards with functional
equivalent parts which have a different pinout, and having a "salvage yard
mentality" willingness to scavenge parts from non working or obsolete
equipment could yield most of what might be needed at a reasonable cost. (The
point is that TT generally wasn't the only manufacturer to use these
devices.) There are also retrofit digital displays available. The only real
sourcing issue might be PA transistors (e.g. Argosy MRF477s.)

Then again, these rigs are inexpensive enough that keeping a spare/parts rig
around as suggested probably wouldn't be that big of a deal if you have the
storage space available.

73, Al

Hello,
That is the system I am using. Considering the plug-in boards, if you have one good radio it is easy to swap boards to trouble shoot problems. For the most part, almost all the parts you need to keep these radios running are on the market, you might have to dig around a bit. I have several CorsairII, Corsair and Omni C units. Fact is I have too many and I am running out of space. I will be selling several radios in the near future. For the past 10 years I have owned a Paragon and that is the radio I use for comparisons between receivers. The Corsair II is my favorite rig, no menus to remember. The Omni C is the number 2 rig.

73'S KA5SIW

James Boswell