Re: [TenTec] repairs

To: <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] repairs
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:24:44 -0500
As one that has performed many repairs on the older, less than current, Tentec radios and others, the parts inventory required is astounding. I have some 250 manuals, most all on CD ROM that I access. I have purchased DOA radios just for the parts and PC boards. Unfortunately I find the DOA's have faults that are most common to those needing repair, thus the DOA does not provide any value in support. Just investment on my part and taking up space in the shop.

The issue I've found is the repair costs, shipping, labor and such and the requirement to search down parts, frequently approach or exceed the value of the radio. Typical, the dollar value, not the intrinsic value, of a good working radio may be $400 to $600. Most hams do not want to invest $200 to $300 to get a radio repaired. Now if one wishes to do the repair themselves, not counting labor, investment in test equipment and parts, then it is worth it. But, just how many hams have that ability, knowledge and skill and access to parts? Very few. The point being, take a radio purchased for $600 add about $200 in total repair costs and one still has a $600 radio.

In cleaning out the shop a few weeks ago, I tossed 27 radios of various brands and models into the truck and hauled them to the crusher. These had been scavenged for parts and were totally non functional, non repairable radios. Before doing so, I took them to a local hamfest with a $1 each price tag. No takers. I had one fellow asked if I removed the knobs he wanted them for $1 but he wouldn't take the carcass with knobs for $1. Proves that hams are "cheap" in that my labor to remove the knobs was worth less than his. In some cases I had paid $200 to $300 each just for the parts radio, as is. I doubt that I recovered anywhere near 100% of my investment much less any return for my labor on many of these.

If it is a 20 year old radio and working to your satisfaction then great. If It fails well you now have a pretty looking desk ornament with little true value. While I have several radios that are cosmetically very good, technically very good and working as originally designed and some are nearing 50 years old or older. I have repaired and restored these units. The estimated labor invested is about 100 hrs for one of the Collins receivers. At $25/hr the labor value is $2500 plus parts research time and procurement time. Yet the radio on the market today sells for about $1200. Sorry but my college ECON class does not justify the efforts. Just the love of the radio which has no value to anyone but me.

The only economical solution is best if one finds the parts and repair it yourself.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Al Gulseth" <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>