Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:59:28 +0100
Barry,

Well, it is and it isn't correct.

When I was younger, I had a lot more money and I basically bought everything
that ever came out and looked any good.
In fact if it looked really good, I bought two of them.

Now that I'm retired and don't have so much money, I'm very careful how I
spend it and try not to waste it.
The one lesson I learned is not to be the first kid on the block to have the
latest toy.

I don't think the Eagle will be my last new transceiver, and I don't expect
it to last until I die, so it must eventually be replaced.  At the end of
the day, I'd like to replace it with something as good or better, not just
some over-hyped rig with the latest whims. (Not sure if that last word was
English or German)

The Flex radios up to the 5000 were overhyped and I've known for a few years
that they fall flat on their backside under certain condx (i.e. FD with 2
transmitters operating the same band). Add in the lack of knobs; they were a
non-starter in my books.

When Carl first claimed the 6xxx series was great, I was very skeptical,
even though I highly respect Carl's opinion. Thanks to some tests Carl made
and Rob's tests, I now realize that the world has significantly changed.
Make that 'SIGNIFICANTLY'.

Still, the dilemma with the knobs (or rather lack thereof) is important to
me.
If they solve that, I will jump ship immediately.  I'm convinced.
There is no question that this new technology is superior to what we know
from the past.
The only problem is, they didn't build interfaces for us old farts.
IMO, that will change.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)