Re: [TenTec] TS590SG Sherwood numbers = Orion

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TS590SG Sherwood numbers = Orion
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 22:49:16 -0600
Well, let me clarify a couple of points - I loved my Orion.  It still worked
perfectly the day I sold it, a few months ago.  I didn't sell it because I
thought it was no longer useful or a terrific radio.  But, instead, I have
grown disenchanted with the radio hobby and have hardly been on in the last 4-5
years.  I've been looking for something to "push" me to do something different
and get re-emerged.  So, I finally made good on a promise I made to Gerald
Youngblood two years ago when he announced the Flex-6000 line of products.  I
bought one of their Flex-6500 SDR's.  Big change.  I'm still absorbing all the
things that are different and how to make good use of it in DXing and
contesting.  I think TT did a terrific job on the Orion, and I've worked some
of my best DX on it.  But I don't have the room or the budget for two high end
radios, and if I kept the Orion, I'd continue to default to it, so I swallowed
hard and made the jump.  I didn't get a K3 because the ergonomics
 of the radio just don't work for me.  They have also done a magnificent job of
engineering that line.  I have to say, how lucky are we that between TenTec,
Flex, and Elecraft we have three terrific companies right here nearby.  (Flex
is literally 3 miles away from me.)

I did purchase an Argonaut VI so I could stay on the reflector - hi, hi!  Good
bunch of guys here.

        73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas