Re: [TenTec] NB verses NR

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NB verses NR
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:17:44 -0800
On Mon,12/15/2014 11:00 AM, Carl Moreschi wrote:
When it is bad, the Noise Blanker in my Flex 6500 will remove it completely, dropping the S meter reading by sometimes as much as 10 DB.

Hi Carl,

In every radio I've owned, when the Noise Blanker is working like that, it's chopping out pieces of time, so that while it's removing noise, it's also chopping the desired signal at those times. My K3 also sounds like it's working that way.

Another possible technique, if the microprocessor power and programming skills are available, is to detect the waveshape of the noise, then synthesize only that waveshape and add it out of polarity with the complete if (or audio), and at the same level, so that it cancels.

Do you know what the 6500 is doing?

BTW -- I was discussing the new Flex radios with a seasoned operator who is also a superb EE. He owns a 6300 and a 6700, and describes the 6700 as the best radio he's ever seen. He also says that the user interface is absolutely awful, but that the guys at Flex are so out of it with respect to actually USING a radio that they don't understand what's wrong with it. He describes them as "perhaps making a 100 QSOs a year," whereas a good contester at a good station will often make 100 QSOs in an hour. :)

73, Jim K9YC