Re: [TenTec] NB verses NR

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NB verses NR
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:33:18 -0800
On Mon,12/15/2014 11:20 AM, Peter Bertini wrote:
I do understand that the improved skirts will cause ringing on noise
impulses, but I am living with that problem.

Ringing is the result of the SHAPE of the amplitude and phase response of a system, including filters. Filter skirts are not "improved" if they increase ringing on noise. Skirts are "improved" if they provide greater rejection outside the passband while minimizing ringing.

The Elecraft K2 sounded very nice on RX when using the TX crystal filter, but to narrow the SSB response, the multi-stage crystal filter was realigned to stagger tune it, and the amplitude response looked like a cross section of the Rockie mountains. The resulting distortion of amplitude and phase made it painful to use.

Note that the K2 is an analog kit using discrete components, originally designed as a 80-10M QRP CW rig, and expanded over several years to add 160M, SSB, AF DSP, and a 100W amp.

All filters are not created equal -- some mathematical shapes sound FAR better than others. One of the great things about DSP is the ability of a smart designer to optimize the shaping of both amplitude and phase response. That sort of careful shaping is a large part of why the K3 CW bandwidth is half that of its closest competitors.

73, Jim K9YC