Re: [TenTec] BUNGEE CORDS

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] BUNGEE CORDS
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 08:59:37 -0800
On Wed,12/31/2014 7:59 AM, Barry N1EU wrote:
FWIW, I've had rubber core bungees from Lowes survive several upstate New
York winters here (and last year was FRIGID), anchoring wire antennas.

There are far better ways to allow for trees swaying in the wind. A pulley and suitable weight, combined with a suitable rope, can withstand a lot of stress, but can be relatively inexpensive. I use the 5/16-in rope sold by DX Engineering and several other ham vendors.

http://www.synthetictextilesinc.com/supportham.html

I use pulleys either from a store that caters to sailboat owners, or a special type with sideplates that rotate that a rope can be laid onto it rather than having to be pulled through from one end. This maks it much easier to rig.

http://www.cmi-gear.com/collections/frontpage-2-service-line-pulleys/products/rp115

Weights can be anything from old window sash weights to buckets of concrete with a hook inserted in the concrete, to water jugs filled with dry sand (what I use).

When it costs hundreds of dollars or a serious effort to get the antenna up there, skimping on mickey mouse half solutions that can put it on the ground and require another climb doesn't make sense.

73, Jim K9YC