Re: [TenTec] BUNGEE CORDS

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] BUNGEE CORDS
From: "R. Eric Sluder via TenTec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 19:44:08 -0500
When I installed my current antenna I stopped by Lowes and bought a stiff
spring for each end of my OCF, and one for the end of my pseudo beverage
antenna.  They work well, and when they rust they will keep working for some
time just like door springs will do when rusted.  When one does go, no biggie
as I have a safety rope tied to the antenna side of the rope and the other end
tied to where the spring is anchored to.

This configuration works most of the time and was recently tested and it did
indeed work!  I had an Ash tree about 7" in diameter at the base and 35 ft tall
fall over on the beverage antenna about 2/3 rds the length of the tree (from
the base of the tree to where it met with my antenna).  I looked out one day
and saw the tree was suspended about 8 ft in the air.  Upon investigation I saw
the spring was stretched to max and the safety rope stretched tight and nothing
broken on the antenna or the ropes  (I use Wireman copper clad steel stranded
wire).

I chain sawed the tree off the antenna and it went back up to the 10 ft height
I had it at (would love for it to be lower but kids run through my yard) and
the spring relaxed and the safety rope drooping just below the spring.

Another time it didn't work, but it involved an oak tree limb 22"
In diameter probably weighing about 1500-1800 lbs - yikes!

A rather inexpensive setup.

73
-Eric
W9WLW