Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 19:39:10 +0200
On 3/19/2016 7:32 PM, Tim wrote:

By the way, I do remember reading that one should not put an amplifier after the HB-1B as it might not then pass FCC requirements. So to me that would be one excuse for taking the KX-3.
The original radio would not have passed FCC approval. It was sold as a kit from China, then a relative of the vendor brought some kits into Canada and sold them on eBay. Since they were kits, and not actual radios, they did not have to have FCC approval.

Both MFJ and Ten-Tec bought rights to sell them assembled, and in order to pass FCC approval had to add output filtering. I forget which, but one company sold them as two band radios, and the other as single band.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
Jerusalem Israel.