Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:41:24 +0100
Cops on bikes:  September 1975 - On my first DX-pedition to Andora (C31IL), I
was about 10 minutes into the Spanish Pyrenees mountains riding fast (I
thought) on a Honda 750 when two cops on motorbikes (BMWs) came up behind me
out of nowhere.  Pulled me over of course but as it turned out then only wanted
to look at my bike and then show me they could ride faster.  When we left
together, they vanished in nothing flat!

On THAT DX-pedition we ran a Swan SS-100 (50w) off of a car battery. The other
op brought the VW bus and the Swan.  I built the antennas on site (wire beams,
of course).  I was amazed how long we could work off of the car battery with
this new transistorized radio.  Up till then I had only used tube rigs.

I returned to Berlin and 2 months later, bought my Argonaut 505.  I wanted to
try out these new transistorized radios.  THEN THE REAL FUN BEGAN.

See: http://www.dj0ip.de/my-expeditions/andorra-1975/

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)