Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 19:00:30 +0100
Interesting bit of information, Geoff.

The trouble is, there are several sources of the HB-1B.
Seems the ones bought directly in China over ebay are more often DOA than
those bought through North American importers.

I will have one here in about 10 days.  Mine comes from Vibroplex.
I'll open it up and see what's inside.

To be on the safe side, here is a kit to build a 6 range LPF (covers all hf
bands).
http://www.kn-electronic.de/Bausaetze/TP-50.html
Cost 38 Euros ($41).

They also have a 10w QRP amplifier kit (15w on the lower hf bands, 10w on
6m).
It sells for 60 Euros (about $70).  But it requires the LPF (above).
http://www.kn-electronic.de/Bausaetze/FET-PA10.html

And a 50w version for the same price:
http://www.kn-electronic.de/Bausaetze/FET-PA50.html
Careful though, it is Mosfet and requires 30v to get this power, not 12v.
By 14v it only hits 18w.

And finally there is a 4-band amp (80/40/30/20) including everything (case,
heat sink, LPF, etc.).
It costs 129 EUR, so for that price you may as well buy the Chinese one.
http://www.kn-electronic.de/Bausaetze/FET-PA-GH01.html

Soooo, you can actually build these things yourself.
I think I'd rather do that than buy the Chinese one.
That way I know what I have and I know I can get spare parts!
Besides, I'm confident this one will have better linearity than the Chinese
one.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)