[TenTec] SOTA RADIO

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO
From: Tim <tim@ke4ke.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 21:05:02 -0500

Rick,

The 509 was a fun radio. I bought one new when my friends were buying the TS-520 and 101E.

http://www.ke4ke.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Yosemite2.jpg

I ran it at Yosemite with out the amp.

Tim
KE4KE

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 08:28:44 +0100
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO

BRING BACK THE 509!

With the dial lamps switched off, it drew only 160 mA on receive.
There was a slide switch on the back panel for switching the lamps on or
off.

I added a mod to my Omni (A - analog) that did this.
It drew only 350 mA on receive.
A 24 hour contest (CW) was just doable off of a motorcycle battery.
Always had to push-start the bike afterwards.

If you are doing long term battery operation, this makes a huge improvement
in battery life.
I ran my Omni off of batteries for 10 days while on a DX-pedition.
Ran it at 50w power with the dial lamps switched off.

Many of today's "cool" radios such as the ELAD FDM-DUO are real Current Hogs
and draw an amp or more on receive.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)

Annan, etc.