Re: [TenTec] Omni VI off frequency

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI off frequency
From: Dukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 08:44:36 -0600
I do not consider Omni 6 radios at EOL.

They are usually easy to fix and great performers aside from their raucous
sounding SSB receive audio.

Do you power your power supply off when you turn off your radio?

If so, you are allowing the oven to cool and there will be a significant wait
time for stabilization anyway even if the over is still working at all. Failure
of the reference crystal oven is quite common in the older Omni 6 radios. That
is why Ten Tec changed to a prepackaged 20 MHz reference oscillator in later
versions. These fail too.

Since you have SO many bad positions, it is unlikely that your problem rests
only with bad crystals anyway. More likely the reference is off frequency snd
is drifting.

Several have suggested in previous posts that you can install one of the many
prepackaged thermally compensated crystal oscillators available from Mouser or
Digikey as the reference. The frequency is 20 MHz. This is a very good
suggestion.

These devices were not available when the Omni 6 was first designed.
Installation is very easy and the end result is better than the original.

You will need to realign the crystals that are still within range but some may
need replacement. These can be had either f rom junk radios or from a few on
line crystal suppliers.

Once you follow the alignment instructions for one band that seems to align up
properly, follow through with the others and see how many of them pull in.
Chances are that most will once the reference oscillator problem is corrected.

Gary

W0DVN