Topband: Contest Problems

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Contest Problems
From: n1eu at hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Wed Jan 29 05:51:09 2003
>From: Doug Waller <NX4D@comcast.net>
>Most HF'ers are more than satisfied with their late model rigs.  The 160m
>rig performance problems begin to surface when we get into big pile-ups or
>contest situations where monster signals overpower the receivers.

I routinely run up against dynamic range limitations of any of the
commercially available rigs in day-to-day operation on topband.

>In a perfect world we could carry our concerns to the governing body, the
>end result being that most of the manufacturers would comply to our demands
>for better performance.  In the real world, manufacturers may only respond
>to a decrease in their sales, if then.

If a manufacturer offered a rig that included a very competently designed
front end (e.g. CDG2000) and good keying characteristics, I think it would
sell quite well and give them a marketing advantage.

73,
Barry N1EU