Re: Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Patience in ARRL 160 Contest
From: "Augie \"Gus\" Hansen" <augie.hansen@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 08:02:35 -0700
Hi Jim,

as in "CQ TEST KB0YH", with about a 1-2 second loop delay.

I have NEVER found a CQ repeat interfal less than 2.5 seconds to be
adequate to actually LISTEN for callers, and I often use 3 seconds.

You're right. I wasn't near the radio last night so I guessed at my delay setting. I just checked my K3 MSG RPT setting and was surprised to see 3 seconds. I have used 2 seconds at times, but did find it to be a bit too short.

I strongly agree with the need to keep CQs short.  I always have three
CQs programmed. The shortest, automatic on F1, is "TEST K9YC" The next
is "CQ TEST K9YC,"   and the longest is "CQ TEST K9YC K9YC."   I start
with the shortest, then the middle one, then the longer one when things
are slow and I need to beat the bushes.

Good idea. I'll try that next time.

73, Gus KB0YH