Re: Topband: GAP Vertical Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: GAP Vertical Question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:31:33 -0500
A Shakespere CB whip in my 66 Corvette which was advervtised for fiberglass cars. It couldnt be heard a mile away with 4W. I added "radials" from the base on the rear deck to the frame on all 4 corners and then it worked much better. This was back in the late 70's for several years.

CB antenna manufacturers live in a fantasy land, and almost always grossly misrepresent what the sell.

A half wave CB whip is about 18 feet long. It is impossible to use a half wave whip on 11 meter mobile on a normal highway or road.

You likely had an antenna with 1/2 wave of wire spooled up on a short fiberglass rod, which would never behave like a half-wave.