Re: Topband: GAP Vertical Question

To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: GAP Vertical Question
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 09:33:12 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 9:07 AM

Right, typically a couple hundred ohms. Modeling the base Z of a thick broadcast tower is very difficult with MoM software. Changes in thickness can result in large base Z changes.

Just to be clear, since the discussion drifted to half-wave radiators, my comment above was specific to the modeling of thick v. thin half-wave radiators, including the 180-195 degree radiators of some well-known 50KW AM stations. The results when modeling the base Z of approx. 1/4-wave radiators is less affected by thickness, probably due to a lower base Z to start with.

Paul, W9AC

In the 1920's several BC towers were half waves without radials on hilltops. Performance was poor due to the height plus the lack of a decent ground on solid rock limiting the ground wave signal to a low value. As a side note tapered towers were also in vogue but that presented other problems.

It wasnt until the educated scientific studies of the 30's and published papers/books that resulted that broadcasters began to standardize.....along with some push from the FCC.

Here we are over 70 years later still arguing the subject and embroiled in myths and some folks are very protective of their alternate beliefs.

Did the 100mpg carburetor ever exist? Is this planet only 9000 years old (-; ?

Carl
KM1H