[TowerTalk] Tower lighting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower lighting
From: wl7e@oly.silverlink.net (Joe)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 22:35:12 -0700 (PDT)
    I am in the process of getting the required permits to install a 120'
tower. I have never had to go thru this process before in Alaska nor Hawaii.
I am located one mile off the end of a small (less than 2400' runway)
"private" airport and have applied for FAA approval. I just received that in
the mail but I am going to be required to "light" the tower as per FAA
Advisory Circular 70/7460-1, chapters 4, 5 & 13. I have the circular
70/7460/2J which the FAA sent with form 7460. It states "Information about
these systems can be found in the Advisory Circulars listed in Chapter 13,
Marking and Lighting Equipment and Information. Information should also be
obtained from the manufacturers. Proponents can then determine which system
best meets their needs based on purchase, installation, and maintenance costs."
    Ok now I'm stumped. The trees between the airport and myself are 100'
tall. There are lots of them. I only want to go 120'. It sounds like
overkill to me but what the heck. I am located on a hill (ridge) top and
will give K7QQ a run for his money.:) Hi Rex! My question to the reflector
is: does anyone know some of these manufacturers and the costs associated
with this? The lighting part of it is new to me. I would appreciate any and
all information from the guys. This is the first step (the FAA). Now I have
to go to the state aviation agency for permission. Then to the county. I
know the state and county will give me permission as I have already talked
to them. In my CCR's it doesn't say I can't put a tower up and have talked
to a few of the other home owners so I should be ok. I hope to be ready for
the fall contest season with all this.

Tnx,
Joe - WL7E/7