[TowerTalk] Tower lighting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower lighting
From: k0sd@juno.com (k0sd@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 12:19:27 EDT
LEE,
   Your advise is VERY dangerous.   If your tower is within the Airport
rules, you better do it right.  If the FCC/FAA found you using
non-approved devices, the fines would be in the multiple $10,000 range.
If an aircraft hit it, make it in the multiple $100,000 range, plus all
the multi-million dollar law suit's from the victim's families.
   This also requires alarm devices if a light fails, and notification to
the FAA within a half-hour, or stiff fines can be levied!   When my pager
goes off with a tower light failure alarm any hour of the day or night,
it is a BIG EMERGENCY,   N O W   !  !  !
    A couple years ago a Lifeline helicopter hit a unlighted tower in
Virginia, and since then the issue has been expedited to the front.
They're still not sure how many million$ it is going to cost the tower
owner by the time all the FCC/FAA and court cost/fines/lawsuits are
settled the last thing I read.
   Federal law has changed greatly over the past few years.  Don't take
someones advise on how they did it 5, 10, or 15 years ago.   You will
find it very hard to argue with a FCC/FAA agent when he can show you the
current law(s) you are breaking, and the resulting thousands of dollars
of fines.   They don't listen arguments of so and so said so and so.
Don't waste your or his time!   The current federal ideology seems intent
on how to add a few more thousand$ to it's income, and they've been
exploiting this FCC/FAA route the past couple years.  I've personally
been in on some inspections, which fortunately found all OK.

73's de Stephen, K0SD
Senior Technician with Mobile Media, 2nd largest paging Co in USA