[TowerTalk] 25G anticlimb panels and guy wire bash protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 25G anticlimb panels and guy wire bash protection
From: psoper@donedeal.encore.com (Pete Soper)
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 16:06:22 -0400
I'm homebrewing a means of keeping kids safe from my just completed foldover and
would like to bounce my schemes off the reflector to see if there is a better
way.

What I plan to do is take three strips of plywood around 9 5/8" by 8 feet
and for each strip put a pair of wooden blocks on the back. The blocks would
sit on small plywood strips for half their lengths, creating a gap between half
the block and the 8 foot plywood piece. The whole thing would then slip onto
the 25G and slide down with two crossbars fitting into the gaps under the
blocks. A padlock hasp at the bottom would line up with another cross bar and
with a lock there the panel can't be moved up and off. Or I might wire two of
the panels in place as I only need the one face to climb. The three panels
would be on the tower just above the winch so the kid would have to shinny or
jump up about 13 feet to get to the first rung of the tower proper. (The wood
will be well treated for weather protection of course) What do you think?

I've put UV-resistant conduit over the guy wires to reduce the damage to
somebody walking into them. I'm considering a little fence around the anchor,
arranged so a person will hit the fence with their knees before hitting the
conduit with their face. Or I could put some bright reflective strips on the
conduit at adult and kid's eye level. Are there alternatives?

Regards,
Pete
KS4XG