[TowerTalk] "Coax Break-In".. Applauded!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Coax Break-In".. Applauded!
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 07:01:31 -0400 (EDT)
Okay, okay, I guess all of the "secrets" of successful contest stations
are getting out of the bag...

At W3LPL, we follow an annual element rotation policy, much like tire
rotation on your pick-up (for you little pistols: automobile).  Of
course, the implementation of this policy is assigned to one of the
rookies from the last operating season.  When the rookie has finished
rotating all of the elements, he finishes the job by simply flipping the
48 foot boom around and the job is done (on that Yagi) until next year!
The only problem with this element rotation policy is that after one of
the rookie has finished doing all of Yagis here in a busy weekend, he
truely appreciates the true meaning of "Mega Hertz" and "floppy disk."

An example for one of my 6 element 15M Yagis, simply swap the pairs of
elements shown, then flip the boom:

x--------->  ----------------------  Reflector
x  y------>   --------------------   Driven Element
x  y