[TowerTalk] Re: Penetrox vs WD40/graphite

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Penetrox vs WD40/graphite
From: beaton@wintermute.co.uk (Alastair Beaton)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:18:47 +0100
Hi Towertalkians,

OK, antennas assembled without the benefit of Penetrox/OX-guard/NoAlOx
exhibit white/light grey corrosion on the mating parts (and elsewhere!).
This I've seen... too many times!

However, I've also come across a very hard black/grey substance, almost
like carbon deposit, on two aluminium antennas assembled from new with the
manufacturer's supplied anti-oxidant/lubricant on the mating surfaces. Both
antennas were up outdoors in the damp and salty Scottish climate for over a
year (oh, they came from different manufacturers). Both were used
regularly with more than 398 watts:-) When I scraped them clean with a
non-metal pan scourer, the surfaces were heavily pitted.

Has anyone else noted this and, perhaps, deduced a cause?

Could it be poor or intermittent RF connections (I never noticed anything
on the power/SWR meter)?
Could it be over-application of the goo?

More recently I've used a waxy rustproofing treatment on antennas (called
Waxoyl) after assembly, and found the goo just as new after a year outdoors
(and zero corrosion), so I'm more curious than anxious.

73
Al, GM4BAP