[TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts...
From: rolfe@ldp.com (Rolfe Tessem)
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 12:54:47 +0000
Bill Fisher, W4AN wrote:

> I did some reconfiguration on my 80M 4-square this past month and after
> hooking it back up I noticed that I now have a high SWR on the bottom end
> of 80M in the NE position.  Yes, high SWR to the Comtek box but only when
> the NE position is selected.  All other positions have little to no SWR
> across the entire band.  The NE position has 2:1 SWR at 3500Khz and 1:1 SWR
> at 4Mhz.
>
> I have checked everything out today.  The relays in the box look fine.  The
> measurements at the antennas look mostly OK.  The dumped power in to the
> dummy load looks normal in all positions.
>
> I have summarized my investigation at
> http://www.contesting.com/w4an/newpage13.htm
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.  Also any comments on my readings would be
> appreciated.

Bill,

I had a similar problem last year after a nearby lightning ground-strike
and it turned out to be a broken shield connection on the line between
one element and the Comtek box.

It was difficult to track down because the pattern wasn't completely
hosed and the SWR into the Comtek box was only slightly elevated.

Good luck!

Rolfe, W1VC

--
Rolfe Tessem     |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com    |     96 Morton Street