[TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts...
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 20:11:37 -0700
pramey@bellsouthwd.com wrote:

>      I would like to install a 4-Square system but have a question .  I
>      live on a wooded lot.  It has a lot of scrub growth and some full
>      sized tree's.  Can a 4-Square system be installed with out clearing
>      too many of the tree's?  How close to the antenna can I have tree's?
>
>      Paul
>      WG0G/W2

Hi Paul.
I'm using  a phased array on 40 with 3 verticals.  There is a big tree
about 15 feet from the S.E. vertical and it doesn't seem to affect it
much.  I have all my radials laying on the ground.  Some of them are
laying right on top of the scrub-brush.  After a while the radials work
their way down to the ground.  I put galvanized fence wire down for the
first bunch of radials and they are just about all rusted away.  I
replaced most of them with insulated number 14 wire and it has held up
real well.  Good luck with with the new antenna!
Tom W7WHY