[TowerTalk] What tape to use?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What tape to use?
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 08:21:14 -0700

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 21:02:42 -0500
>
>This occurred to me to ask after reading about taping the end
>caps:
>
>Why don't we just crimp the end tips closed?
>
>What's the problem with doing that?

If we are talking about the cap at the very end of the element,
there may be a good reason not to crimp them.  The palstic cap
(if it covers the end of the element) prevents exposure of the
sharp (relative term) edges of the end of the element from
becoming formation sites for corona streamers.  Even if the
corona noise isn't a concern because you plan not to be using the
antenna in high potential fields, it is not a good idea to
attract lightning to the end of an element that has traps in it.

73, Eric  N7CL