[TowerTalk] RE: Concrete an insulator???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Concrete an insulator???
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (Edward W. Sleight)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 02:19:28 -0400
Peter Larsen wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Here is how you measure the ground resistance of your ground
> rods/tower base:
>
> First off us a "Megger" These aren't your little ohm meter from
> RS. They will put out between 500 and 1K volts. (as a side note
> they sure were fun in electrical lab ;->) You have to measure
> both ways with your leads as ground does have a diode effect.
> You take the average of the the two readings to get the final
> reading. You must also take into consideration soil condition/moisture
> time of year, temp. and a few other things.
> You can't just take and grab your ohm meter and jab the points onto
> concrete and hope to get any sort of accurate reading. You must
> use one of the tower legs and it must be bare metal. I have a 8 foot
> ground rod in the middle of my concrete plus a fair bit of re-bar.
>
> I hope this gives you all some help.
>
> Peter
> Power Lineman by Trade
> Ham by Choice

And I regard your remarks as condescending and of absolutely no help.
You may wish to contact US Tower Corporation and inform them of your
vast knowledge and experience in this area. I'm quite sure they will
then completely abandon their existing instructions for the
installation of their towers.

And I am not likely to take advice from anyone who would run a  ground
rod down the center of the concrete block supporting their tower. It
would seem to me you should have devoted a little more time to your
studies in the engineering lab instead of having "fun" with a megger.

Your attitude and opinions belie your occupation and your choice of
hobby.

Ed, K4SB