[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 21:29:27 -0500
At 08:56 PM 1/1/01 -0500, WA3GIN wrote:

>Has anyone read or have information regarding the use of sacrificial
>Zinc anodes to reduce corrosion of earth anchors?

There is a source of technical info on the web, a supplier of anodes and
installation know-how, which has been discussed on Towertalk within the
last two years.  IMO an awful lot depends on the specific soil
characteristics of your location, and potentially adding a zinc electrode
could even be harmful in the wrong circumstances (or very helpful in the
right ones).  For whatever it is worth, I switched from copper plated to
galvanized guy ground rods adjacent to my guy anchors, with just this in
mind.  Necessary?  I don't know, but it wasn't much work.

Maybe more to the point, for many of us the guy anchor rod is a single
point of failure, which could cause the tower to fall like a tree if it
lets go.  Might it not be good practice to terminate at least one set
(level) of guys on a tower on a guy anchor separate from the others?  That
way if one guy anchor failed the worst that wold happen is a foldover type
failure or a tethered collapse within a relatively small circle.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at