[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 07:54:47 -0500
At 06:39 AM 1/2/01 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>> Screw anchors are a lot more dependent on specific soil
>> characteristics than concrete anchors.  As an example,
>> the concrete anchors on my tower weight about ~1800 lb each,
>> and get the remainder of their anchoring  power from the weight
>> of soil above them.  Screw anchors weigh what --  maybe 50
>> lb each?
>
>       I suspect that much (most?) of the "holding power"
>       of the earth is not from the weight but from the
>       'cohesion' of the earth.  Loose dirt could weigh
>       as much as undisturbed (compacted) earth but
>       would have little or NO 'cohesion'.  K5RC once
>       lost a tower when an anchor (cased in concrete)
>       pulled through 'soupy' earth after sustained rains.
>       For small anchors, the surface area and depth is
>       more significant than the weight.  (I agree that
>       Pete's 1800 lb anchors are pretty substantial)

Tom's right, of course -- I was short-handing.  It's like shoveling sand or
soupy mud vs shoveling clay.

The more I think about this, the more it seems appropriate to consider
using 2 guy anchors per guy set, so that a single point failure of the guy
anchor shaft won't release all of the guys on one side at once.  Next
spring, I also intend to dig down to the concrete and inspect the shafts on
mine.

By the way, the ~1800 lb anchors are per Rohn spec, and are only roughly .5
cubic yard each, but resemble a large flat plate on the end of the anchor
shaft, so you get both area and dead weight.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at