[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: designserv@ipass.net (LYN Williams)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 08:14:09 -0500
n4kg@juno.com wrote:

> Lyn,  you neglected to indicate the FAILURE  MODE.

It appeared to me that both failures were probably due to the shaft
being too short or the screw too small for the type of soil -or both-,
so the anchor worked looser with changing soil moisture over time.

> Did the SHAFT corrode?  If so,  how would a concrete
> anchor be less susceptible?

Neither shaft appeared to be corroded to the danger point.

> Proper size selection IS important!

It apparently WAS important, but my concern is that a larger size
would only have delayed the danger until corrosion could do the deed.

With an achor properly protected in concrete, I think corrosion would
be retarded as compared to an anchor in direct contact with soil.

Lyn, W4WDN

Lyn, W4WDN