[TowerTalk] Adjustable lanyard

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adjustable lanyard
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:16:58 -0400
On 7/28/01 7:16 PM, Bill Turner at w7ti@dslextreme.com wrote:

>I'm looking for an adjustable safety lanyard.  I have a tapered tower
>which I like to climb with the lanyard attached to my safety belt.
>Because of the taper, I actually have three different lanyards attached,
>which I change as the tower diameter gets smaller.  I know lots of guys
>climb without a lanyard until they reach the working area, but I like to
>have it on the whole way up and down.

I'm just getting started in tower climbing. However, due to a story of a
local ham who fell leaving a wife and kids, I'm real cautious.

I climb using a full harness, with a fall arrest lanyard clipped in at
all times. When I'm moving the fall arrest, I have a short 3' lanyard
clipped to the tower as well. The positioning lanyard isn't attached
until I'm near the top of the tower. Yea, it is slow, but it is safe.

A positioning lanyard won't help you much in a fall. It is handy to have
so you can rest.

>So, does anyone know of one which has some kind of slide mechanism for
>quickly shortening or lengthening the lanyard?  That three-lanyard
>business is a PITA.

Champion Radio carries a very nice adjustable lanyard, but "quickly"
lengthing or shortening isn't likely.

Besides, you could be fumbling around, trying to adjust the thing, only
to let go, and have it lengthen to the max -- then where would you be?

The three-lanyard business may be a PITA, but it sounds safer than trying
to adjust stuff on the tower.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----