[TowerTalk] Adjustable lanyard

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adjustable lanyard
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:00:07 -0400
Folks:

     I meant to add my two cents worth earlier but forgot.  For my Trylon
Tower I have a Buckingham (www.buckinghammfg.com ) body belt, and an
adjustable positioning belt made of neoprene-impregnated nylon.  The
positioning belt is pictured in Buckingham's Arborist catalog, P/N 346099E.
It's new and hasn't made it into the lineman's catalog.

     This belt is essentially one long piece of that pregnant material
fastened at one end to a locking snap hook, then looping through a second
locking snap hook and back to a friction buckle on the middle of the strap.
Kind of like the Miller belt, below.  To adjust the length of the strap, you
have to release tension on the belt (lean into the tower, e.g.) and slide
the buckle along the strap, sort of like the adjustable rope lanyards.

     Buckingham have 5 maximum belt lengths from which to choose - 5 feet 8
inches to 8 feet.  Each belt's minimum length is about half of the maximum
length.  The eight foot long belt would work on Trylon sections 12 and under
(face width is about 45 inches at the bottom of this large section) if you
wish to stay belted _around_ the tower during your ascent.

     BTW, I chose to go with a strap rather than a rope lanyard because the
Trylon material is steel angles with no round surfaces for a rope to glide
over.  I was concerned that a rope lanyard might be cut by the steel
members' edges as I swing around on a tower leg.  (Yes, I always check my
safety equipment before each climb, but I still didn't like the idea of a
rope sliding over these surfaces.  And yes, I have a full-body harness and
gorilla hook-lanyard as a secondary safety restraint.)

     More FFT (food for thought).

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F