[TowerTalk] MFJ ARTIFICIAL GROUND

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ ARTIFICIAL GROUND
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:30:52 -0500
Let's try this again. The message bounced, and I don't keep
copies, and I hate to retype the same thing twice.

> Anyone used this device, which sounds like an "antenna
> fooler" for the ground system?  Good?  Bad?  Indifferent?
> I've got a good 35' run to where the water line enters the
> basement.

The MFJ artificial ground can not make a 1/4 wl ground lead
grounded at the far end into anything "good".

The only thing the artificial ground does is cancel reactance in the
ground lead. It will NOT make a 1/4 wl ground lead or any other
poor ground lead length look like a low impedance, because it is a
two terminal device and can't "stretch" the line.

While there are cases where it can help, there are just as many
cases where it will not help. It might do the trick in some
situations, but certainly will not in all of them.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----